Tuesday, August 30, 2005

the westside just might be hell

I went to get my hair did today in Brentwood- famous because its only black occupant was accused of murder a few years back. I was early, so I parked my ass at a nearby starbucks to drink coffee and read the new Harper's.

This is what I witnessed:
a posse of high school girls in THE EXACT SAME OUTFIT (daisy dukes, bohemian camisole, cowboy boots) talking mad shit about whichever member of said posse happened to be out of earshot at any given moment. I don't remember the exact content of their "conversations," but the phrases "my mom is totally on the rag" and "I hate that skank" were especially memorable.

A college-aged boy and a college-aged girl engaged in a deep conversation about the college-aged girl's "spiritual advisor," a woman named Trina, who has "valuable insight" into humanity. BECAUSE TRINA SAYS WE ARE THE DESCENDANTS OF AN ANCIENT ALIEN RACE- and there are all these things we do as human beings that shorten our lifespans, which theoretically could be infinite if we understood and embraced the ways of our alien forefathers. Trina's theories sounded suspiciously similar to those of Scientology, but she twisted them just enough to avoid copyright infringement or some shit. The college-aged boy seemed a little less unbelievably stupid than his female counterpart- I think he viewed the entire conversation as a rung in the "getting laid" ladder. Apparently he'd just come back from a luxury cruise to the Galapagos Islands. The girl was talking about some spiritual retreat to Croatia she was preparing to leave for. What the fuck? I can't even begin to understand where these people came from.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home